18 Nov What is Hypnobirthing?
If we don’t hypnotise you, what do we do? What is Hypnobirthing?
Off the back of our very successful first hypnobirthing class on Saturday I thought I’d jot a down a few words as quite often I am asked ‘what is hypnobirthing?’ Everyone will answer this question in a different way so here’s my ‘tuppence worth’. As a midwife and a hypnobirthing instructor my opinion on hypnobirthing is the following:
- Hypnobirthing will give you an in depth understanding of the birthing body and how it works, and in my experience knowledge is power. Women who are fully in tune with what is happening and who know what to expect will naturally remain a lot calmer when birthing for the first time.
- Hypnobirthing explains the birthing hormones and the vital role they play in the birthing process. These hormones are prostaglandin, oxytocin and endorphins (naturally you may never have heard these terms before so we will give you the full spiel in class). Hypnobirthing shows you and your partner what you could be doing at home both before, and once your birthing journey starts to encourage the production of these hormones which may result in a quicker and smoother birth.
- Hypnobirthing explains how our bodies will produce perfect quantities of these hormones when we are relaxed and calm, we also explain how stress and fear can interfere with their production. So naturally we will teach, show and practice techniques with you which will empower both you and your birthing partner to stay calm, in control and confident in the run up to, during and after your baby’s birth.
- Women who feel ‘listened to’ and ‘in control’ during their birth journey often report that their birth experience was a positive one, regardless of delivery mode. As we know ‘the baby quite often makes the plan’, we spend time and focus in our hypnobirthing course to explain the benefits of a ‘birth preference list’ as opposed to a ‘birth plan’ to assist you in navigating your way through the maternity services. You will be given a template to take home and amend to suit your own individual preferences.
- Don’t worry…. We won’t be hypnotising anybody at our class We will use a combination of relaxation sessions, massage, acupressure points, education around aromatherapy and many more tools for you to have lined up and ready to go for your birth-day!!
Our aim is to help ‘rewire’ your brain using knowledge and relaxation techniques, aiming to squash any myths, fears and concerns that you may have around labour and birth allowing you to ‘keep calm…. And hypnobirth!!