18 May What is a ventouse? Your pregnancy questions answered
At our antenatal class we often get asked about various birth types, such as the use of a ventouse.
What is it?
- A ventouse (vacuum) is a shallow suction cup placed on baby’s head. This suction helps to get baby out quickly.
Why may it be performed?
- Fetal distress
- Failure to advance in 2nd stage
How is it performed?
- Performed by obstetrician
- Cervix >10cm and baby in birth canal
- Baby’s position will influence instrumental choice
- Pediatrician always present for delivery
Online Antenatal Classes from The Baby Academy Ireland
We got this question recently during one of our online Antenatal Classes in Ireland. We will be answering more questions and if you have one you can join us for one of our free classes.