19 Mar What is a forceps delivery?
At our antenatal class we often get asked about forceps delivery.
4% of births in Ireland use a forceps delivery.
What is a forceps delivery?
In a forceps delivery an instrument shaped like a pair of large spoons is applied to the baby’s head to help guide the baby out of the birth canal. This is typically dine during a contraction while the mother pushes.
Why may it be performed?
- Fetal distress
- Failure to advance in 2nd stage
How is it performed?
- Performed by obstetrician
- Cervix >10cm and baby in birth canal
- Baby’s position will influence instrumental choice
- Pediatrician always present for delivery