While nobody can predict what path labour and birth will take, knowledge and preparation will assist in reducing panic and stress. Women who attend birth preparation classes report feeling more confident and in control of their pregnancy.
Find Out More
The course is tailored for expectant parents, who are in their second or third trimester of pregnancy. Both the mother and partner are encouraged to attend the course.
Whether you are having a home birth, water birth, hospital birth or birthing centre, this course is applicable for you. If you are having an epidural, natural birth or medical support you can still have a positive birth experience from Hypnobirthing.
Will you have to talk during the day? Only if you’d like to 🙂
Our Hypnobirthing course is designed to empower parents in preparation for birthing both before, during and after, so that by the time you give birth you are in a state of well being knowing that they have done the best that you can do from a physical, mental and emotional level.
Our course will cover:
- Looking at your mindset and beliefs around birth
- Birth muscles, with mind -body connections and how they work when relaxed as a team
- Breathing techniques to relax birthing muscles
- Relaxation techniques and light touch massage
- Birth balls
- Pelvic floor exercises
- Perineal massage
- Prenatal bonding
- Signs that require your attention
- Birth Preferences
- Early signals
- Signs of labor
- Due dates
- Labor rehearsal and guided imagery
- Road map of labor
- Laboring positions birth checklist
- Questions to ask the hospital team about your care
In addition you will receive two supporting audios links designed to build your confidence and prepare your mind and body for the birth of your baby.
The course fee for the Hypnobirthing course is €140 per couple.
The Baby Academy all starts with one thing: passionate instructors. With this concept at the forefront of our minds, we set out on a mission to recruit Ireland’s leading maternity care experts, who are some of the most well-loved and trusted in the country.
Our team of health professionals are leading experts in their field. Our emphasis is on the practical, and our instructors draw on the very latest evidence-based research. In other words, our courses aim to provide parents with the most up to date information, whilst leaving them in control of making their own decisions.
Knowing that you are learning from experts gives you confidence to make the decisions that work best for you.
All you need to bring is yourself and your partner. We will provide you with a comprehensive set of notes, so that when you return home, you have a point of reference for your pregnancy journey.
In advance of the course, we will send you two important audios which we ask you to listen to before attending. These will make ensure you get the most out of your hypnobirthing course.
We will break for tea and coffee in the morning (that’s on us!) and for lunch in the afternoon you can either bring your own lunch or buy it in the hotel.
Courses are run over one day in our carefully selected and convenient venues across Ireland, with free parking on site.
What is hypnobirthing?
Hypnobirthing is childbirth preparation, through relaxation, visualisation and guided imagery and can be used for a natural birth and or alongside epidurals, Cesarean births and other medical interventions. Instead of one’s partner being a helpless onlooker, they become a central part of the birthing process; helping mothers to stay calm and focused on the techniques they’ve been taught. As a result, the birth partner feels proud to have been able to help, and to be an active part of the birth.
What are the benefits of Hypnobirthing?
- Reduces fear before, during and after birthing
- Reduces the need for chemical painkillers
- Shortens the first stage of labor, thinning & opening phase, by several hours
- Eliminates fatigue during labor, so you have the energy for actual birthing
- Eliminates risk of hyperventilation from “shallow” breathing methods
- Promotes special bonding of mother, baby and birthing companion
- Promotes rapid postnatal recovery
- Parents learn through Hypnobirthing how to confidently approach a safe, easier and more comfortable birth
- Babies born using Hypnobirthing tend to be calmer, feed better, sleep better and experience less birth trauma
- Scientific research has also shown that the babies usually have higher apgar scores as well
What is involved in a hypnobirthing course?
- Relaxation techniques to produce a shorter, more comfortable labor
- The creation and control of the body’s own natural relaxation levels
- The source of the myth that pain must accompany normal birthing
- Why women in other cultures have birthing almost entirely free of discomfort
- How the mother’s body is designed to work in neuro-muscular harmony with nature throughout labor
- Practice in deep relaxation during and between uterine surges
- The importance of prenatal and perinatal bonding
- Both parents learn simple techniques that address fears and beliefs, self hypnosis, relaxation, visualisation and breathing techniques for a better birth
- With Hypnobirthing, they discover that severe pain does not have to be an accompaniment of labour
- Learn to release the fears and anxieties about giving birth
- Help you discover and experience the joy and magic of birth – rather than the horrific ordeal everyone else seems hell-bent on telling you about
When should I start hypnobirthing classes?
The ideal time to attend a hypnobirthing course is in your second or third trimester. Places in courses book up quick so early booking is advised.
Does hypnobirthing work for everyone?
We can’t promise anyone a ‘perfect’ birth – no one can – however, by the time you go into hospital to give birth, you know you will have done the best that you can do in preparing for your baby’s birth, by using hypnobirthing techniques and if medical circumstances present themselves then you don’t feel bad or guilty, or that your body has let you down!
Hypnobirthing along with breathing and relaxation techniques provides a supporting role alongside the medical profession which in turn will reduce medical costs, reduce interventions and reduce stress levels for all involved.
Hypnobirthing creates the important role for the birthing companion allowing them to; feel involved informed and needed and most importantly, they will know how to relax and stay calm and in control – regardless of what’s happening around them.
Hypnobirthing, is more than just about the birth! It also helps improves the quality of your sleep, and relaxes you through your pregnancy, enhances bonding with your baby, the health and wellbeing for both partner, mother and baby through the prenatal period and beyond.
The breathing techniques can also be used to help calm and relax you at any time especially if work or life events are causing you to feel stressed out.